By Dick Burroughs (@dickburroughs)
There’s a lot to do in Brooklyn in December when the borough is filled with the holiday spirit and the air is crispy and fresh. Now that might sound right out of an “I Love NY” campaign, but that’s the truth.
There’s always shopping on deck, especially small business shopping, which supports the local economy! Coming up is…
11th Annual Latke Festival (Brooklyn Museum, 200 Eastern Parkway, Prospect/Crown Heights, Monday, December 16th, 6pm-8:30pm)
Brooklyn is a wonderful melange of cultures and hence, there’s a potpourri of delicious foods; and latkes are a great contribution from the Jewish community, that will land tastily in your tummy at the 11th annual Latke Festival. A staple of Hannakua, representing the oil that burned for eight days, culinary cats in NYC have frequently flipped them beyond the traditional presentation. Since a Latke is a potato pancake (with onions and breadcrumbs) fried super crispy, people top them with extreme loveliness and culinary creativity. This year, it’s also a home cook challenge, so if you make bangin’ Latke on the low, maybe you should enter.
The Latke Festival is put on by Great Performances and raises money for The Sylvia Center, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that focuses on teaching cooking in underserved communities, inspiring children, teens, and families to eat well through hands-on experiences on the farm and in the kitchen. Proceeds help fund the New York City programs that teach young people, from NYCHA Community Housing Centers, basic cooking skills and the principles of healthy eating. Led by trained chef instructors, classes have a student-to-teacher ratio of 4:1 and immerse students I in experiences with fresh, whole foods.
Remember to always tag #trulybrooklyn in any photos you post on social media, if you attend events on our recommendation.
- Follow us on Twitter for quick clips of what’s going on in our world at @trulybklyn
- Check out awesome picks of all things Brooklyn, and you might even find a party invite or two, on our Instagram: @trulybklyn
- Friend us on Facebook and be a part of the community at: @trulybklyn
- Intimate videos with Brooklynites everywhere can be found on our Youtube: TrulyBrooklyn channel.
- And you can always sign up for our uniquely curated itineraries here at TrulyBrooklyn and #dobrooklyn like we do!!
this article was Brought to you in part by:
Your neighborhood baker for party cakes and cupcakes!